Frontera Audubon Society, Inc. in Weslaco, Texas seeks applications from persons interested in serving as its Executive Director beginning in January 2011. The mission of Frontera Audubon Society is the preservation of the natural environment of the Lower Rio Grande Valley of Texas. It is a private, non-profit organization that owns and manages a 15-acre nature preserve (bird sanctuary) and a State-registered historic residence in need of rehabilitation. The primary responsibilities of the position are:
1. Manage Frontera’s Visitors Center, including the retail store and meeting and greeting members, visitors and birders.
2. Coordinate and implement efforts to diversify and expand Frontera’s financial resources, including assisting with the organization and promotion of an annual Birdathon, mail appeals, solicitation of support from the City’s hotel-motel tax fund, and the cultivation of individual & corporate members, sponsors and donors.
3. Supervise the management of the Thicket, including the ponds, irrigation system, water feature, removal of exotic and invasive plants; re-vegetation and as-needed repairs.
4. Recruit and manage volunteers.
5. Manage communications with members, including the website; liaison with city leadership.
6. Prepare financial and other reports for quarterly Board of Directors’ meetings.
A background and interest in natural history, birds and native plants is required. Experience and success raising funds is also required. Experience with Quickbooks financial management software is desired. Frontera intends to make its hiring decision by December 15, 2010. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Questions may be directed to Frontera Audubon by telephone at 956-968-3275 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please send letter of interest and resume to:
Frontera Audubon Society, Inc.
1101 South Texas Blvd.
Weslaco, TX 78596